Are you carrying a dual SIM phone on yourself. If yes, you should be aware of the following facts about dual SIM phones and EMF Radiation.
4 out of every 5 Android phones sold in India are dual SIM phones. In todays age of hyperconnectivity, dual SIMs are not just convenient, but also prudent on cost. As a user, i am also contemplating using a 4G data connection from Reliance over and above my Vodafone connection on my Xiaomi. However, this dual SIM usage leads to a situation of high phone radiation.
1. Every cell phone give out radio frequency radiation (EMF Radiation) even in its idle stage as they reach out to the signals from the neighbouring cell towers.
2. When you use a dual SIM phone, this EMF Radiation doubles since two independent radio circuits in your phone are actively trying to reach out to cell tower signals.
3. Even when you using only 1 SIM on a dual SIM phone, the blank SIM is still communicating with nearby towers. This forms the basis of emergency calls that you can call the police or paramedics with, in case you dont get a signal or the phone doesnot unlock.
4. Theoretically, therefore a dual SIM phone radiates 2X more than a single SIM device. In practise, because of optimization of phone components and architecture, the device radiates 40-80% higher than a single SIM device.
5. Not only radiation, dual SIM phones also drain batteries faster because the battery is used to power two circuits simultaneously, which leads to increased usage and high power drainage.
6. A dual SIM phone can routinely exceed the threshold limits of radiation if used in low signal areas i.e rural areas, lifts and cars, basements etc.
One key criteria that becomes an absolute must before purchasing a phone (and more so a dual SIM device) is it SAR value (Specific Absorption Rate). SAR Value is an internationally mandated compliance standard applied to all mobile phone makers world over. Put simply, it indicates the degree of radiation that the phone is emitting when applied to your headside (as against a standard of 1.6W/Kg SAR threshold). The SAR value of dual SIM mobile phone is always higher than its single SIM counterpart. Please be sure to purchase dual SIM phones with a SAR value closer to or lesser than 1W/Kg.
The infographic here collates some critical points and factors about dual SIM phones and their radiation – and we have included a section on hacks – to reduce high exposure to mobile phone radiation from dual SIM phones.
Dual SIM mobile phones have come a long way from being the buggy, battery draining, slow processing, cheap chinese devices they one were. There is a degree of portability, cost comfortability and convenience to them which makes them a value purchase. It also does our environment some degree of good, because we dont have to invest in dual hardware. However, there is a degree of care that we need to associate with dual SIM mobile phones.
We hope to have impressed our points on you. Do please write to us, drop a comment. Let us know what you think of it. Your communication is important to us.